15/08/2026
"Tymperleys off Trinity Street, claimed as the house of William Gilberd (d. 1603), incorporates the 15th-century timber-framed parlour range of a house of which the hall was probably immediately to the east and parallel to the street... The hall was demolished in the 16th or 17th century,..."
For all its faults, (the medieval hall roof survives in the bookshop), Volume IX of the VCH History of Essex remains the most useful and comprehensive history of Colchester available.
But how many copies is too many?
(We have yet another coming in!)